Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Is College Worth It?


Is College Worth It?


Before reading the article, as a Junior in high school, I had always concentrated on applying and getting into colleges that I rarely gave much thought about my life after graduating. However, after reading this article, I thought that this article was interesting in a sense that it allowed me to think about the things that I have not yet thought about and guided me towards what I should focus from now on, like how effectively my major will help my career, how easy or difficult it may be for me to find a job with my major, and also about college tuition fees and student loans that I will be paying when I get to college.

From the article, I found ideas that I both agree and disagree about. The author of the article writes in somewhat a negative attitude towards college as graduates often have hard times finding jobs and careers related to their majors, and states that in some cases, those who don’t go to college. The article emphasizes that this is the reason students go back to college, major in something else, and eventually cause their debt and loans to double. Also, the article argues that due to these reasons, in some cases, those who don’t go to college and start working right away earn more money than the college graduates.

I agree to the article’s ideas about how studying certain majors in college may be troublesome for the students later on in the future as this may cause students to go back to college and study another major. Although these situates may trouble students with financial hardships, I don’t think the author should view colleges as ineffective and merely time consuming, as I believe studying in and experiencing college is an important part of life. I believe so because from college experiences, students can not only further enhance their knowledge in a specific area or explore in other areas they are not familiar with, but also take gradual steps towards adjusting and adapting in the society out of their comfort zones.

My goal when I get to college is to not just broaden my knowledge in the area I am interested in and want to study, but also to learn about things that I am not very familiar with. Although I have lived in Canada before, it’s been almost more than 4 years that I haven’t lived in a foreign country for a long period of time. Therefore, when I go to college, I want to meet new people, experience new cultures, and become more independent.

No comments:

Post a Comment